.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Goldsworthy Halloween Pig Roast

This year we hosted Joe's squadron's Halloween party.  We had everything planned out and actually felt no stress going into the party day, Saturday.  Joe was very excited to smoke his first whole pig and was ready.  He had it planned perfectly.  Well, perfectly if we had a pig.  Saturday by 6am Joe was out of the house to get everything ready for the pig.  The smoker was in our backyard with coals heating the smoker, and firewood ready to go.  Next, he set out for the meat market to pick up the pig he had reserved, paid for, and called on the day before to make sure it was thawed and ready for pick up.  That's when I got a call from him telling me the pig was stolen.  WHAT!!!!!  Yes, the pig was stolen from the meat marked.  The idiots at the market had his order tacked behind the counter with PAID stamped on it.  Some people went to the market, saw the order slip, said they were Joe and needed to pick up their pig that was paid for.  The worker gave them the pig without identification or question. When Joe told me this my heart ached for him.  I knew how excited he was for the pig roast and as positive as I wanted to be I really didn't think there was any way we could get another whole pig.  Sure, someone might have one, but it would most likely be frozen and we were supposed to have it on the fire in about 1.5 hrs.  My poor husband, I heard in his voice how disapointed he was, but also how determined he was.  About 30 minutes later I got a call from Joe saying he was picking up a bigger pig from Tifton, a town about 50 miles away.  I screamed I was so excited.  YEA, JOE!!!!!!!  We were very lucky.  The only reason we got that pig was because someone failed to pick up their pig the day before so it was sold to us.  So, we have the pig and we're now about 3 hrs behind on cooking it so everything was pushed into high gear and our butts were moving.  At that point I was very happy the party guests were bringing a dish because I had no time to do any of the extra cooking I was going to do.  The party was a blast and the pig was a hit...it was delicious!  Great job, Joe!
Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures during the party because I spent most of the time playing hostess, but hopefully I'll get some from friends and will add them as time goes on.  For now, here's what I have:
Return of Captain 6-Pack and the Refreshinator. 

Our 60 lb pig on the smoker. 

 
Piggy enjoying the party with an apple treat.

1 comment:

Cyndi Hendrickson said...

That's awful about the pig! I'm glad you got another one but I have a feeling someone from the meat market would have been driving 50 minutes to get it for me. Ha! Love the costumes :-)